We received our World Vision newsletter announcing the United Nations new vision for 2015 -2030. It's official the old Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s) have been closed and the new global vision of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) have been officially signed in.
The old MDGs (2000-2015) had 8 target areas. The UN has declared them as ‘the most successful anti-poverty movement in history’.
The target areas were –
· Poverty – eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
· Education – achieve universal primary education
· Gender equality – empower women
· Child mortality – reduce the extremely high incidences
· Mothers – improve maternal health
· Disease – combat HIV/Aids
· Environment – sustainability
· Partnership – develop global partnership in development
Sustainable Development Goals ( SDG) for 2015-2030 are -
· Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
· Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
· Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
· Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
· Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
· Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
· Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
· Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
· Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
· Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
· Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
· Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
· Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
· Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
· Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
· Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
· Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
Its good to see the global picture and work out how we can join in for the better of our children's world.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
In simple terms to be a ‘global citizens’ means, as an individual, we see ourselves as part of the greater community, be it local or global and know our actions benefit all of society. This in-turn gives more significance to our everyday life.