For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Mt 6:21
Our days are entryways for an endless parade of products. Some are food and considerations re shelter; others are beauty, comfort, education and entertainment.
How often do we view these goods and services with gratitude?
How often do we associate wealth and well-being with having the ‘right things’?
Sometimes our judgement and self-esteem are affected by society’s standards that certain goods and services identify us as being successful or not. Freedom from this is a painstaking journey to self-awareness.
In taking time out to work out how we make our choices increases self-knowledge. It helps us recognise when we choose from habit (i.e. mum did it), or is it social influence or the ever present peer pressure. It’s all very intriguing, assisting to see ourselves with clarity. Is it individual based or are all factors considered?
The Bible calls us to hold all things lightly and to use them responsibly, with gratitude, in our service of a committed life.
How do we enjoy the daily interactions of goods and services that touch our lives?
The Baptist World Aid has recently put out their latest Ethical Fashion Guide, with the aim that we all can - Be Love. End Poverty. In it they ask ‘Does shopping ‘ethically’ make much of a difference? You would be amazed at the difference your purchasing decisions can make! Since the first edition of the Ethical Fashion Guide in 2013….’
• 30% more companies are working to trace where their fabrics come from
• Over 20% more companies are working to trace where their raw material are coming from
• The number of companies investing in paying fairer wages to workers has increased significantly over the last three years, (21%)
So yes, your choice to purchase ethically and responsibly does make a difference. If you want to know more check out their website www.behindthebarcode.org.au
In your contemplation and reflection, here are some daily offerings that you can act on.
• Daily cuppa – fairtrade coffee and tea
• After school for kids – fairtrade hot chocolate
• Evening treat – fairtrade chocolate
• Birthday cake – fairtrade organic cocoa
• Daily shower –fair trade soap
• Daily kitchen use – organic, fair trade seasoning